Archive

Page 2/24

Utility and Misc

Lithium-ion battery suspected as cause of blaze at Urbana recycler

Debra Pressey URBANA — A Thanksgiving night fire at Mack’s Twin City Recycling may have been sparked by a lithium-ion battery, according Corey Mathis, co-operator of the Urbana business. There was a box of batteries on a storage shelf where the fire appeared to originate, and an investigator from the Illinois State Fire Marshal’s office […]

EV

Electric Car Battery Explodes In China While Charging

A battery for an electric vehicle has exploded while charging in a shop in China. A video of the incident was captured by in-store security cameras, which caught the moment the battery began to smoke as an employee stood nearby. Within seconds a large flame exploded out of it, filling the shop with smoke and causing […]

Utility and Misc

Fire and Rescue NSW suspect discarded battery sparked recycling warehouse fire

By Robert Crawford, Nov 21, 2019 A fire in a Bomaderry recycling business could have started from a discarded battery. Emergency services were called to the Shoalhaven Recycling factory in Victa Way, Bomaderry around 4.30am on Wednesday after reports a fire had broken out in its warehouse. The first fire crews on the scene were […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Overheated battery leads to fire at Lebanon home

November 21, 2019 WJHL Channel 11 News Source: WJHL Channel 11 News

Utility and Misc

Waste Connections cites batteries in trash, recycling fires

Lithium-ion types that aren’t properly disposed pose risk By Jeffrey Mize, Columbian staff reporter Published: November 21, 2019, 6:02am Share: On Nov. 15, a Waste Connections recycling truck was making its rounds in the Washougal area when its contents caught on fire. To extinguish the fire, the truck dumped its load of cardboard, newsprint, scrap […]

Utility and Misc

Minneapolis stops battery collection amid fire concerns

Residents are now being told to bring batteries to hazardous waste sites.   By Eric Roper Star Tribune November 20, 2019 — 8:00pm Batteries in this bin at Westonka Library began smoking and nearly caused a serious fire in October. Minneapolis residents can no longer dispose of batteries in bags atop their recycling carts, due […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Battery disposal causes fire in garbage truck

by Molly Levine and Sydney Basden, WCTI Staff ONSLOW COUNTY, N.C. (WCTI) – A fire in a garbage truck last Thursday was caused by someone throwing out hazardous material, so Jacksonville officials are reminding residents to be careful what they toss in the trash. Jacksonville Fire Chief Edward Tallman says the fire occurred after a […]

Utility and Misc

Rechargeable batteries in your favorite devices can ignite and burn down your house

We’re all playing Russian roulette with devices powered by lithium ion batteries. Chances are you have dozens of lithium ion-powered devices inside your home right now. Some are probably hooked up to chargers — and that’s when they are most likely to ignite and cause a destructive fire.Advertisement But we accept the risks in exchange […]

Airplane & Airport

Backpack catches fire on Southwest Airlines aircraft at Chicago Midway International Airport

Monday, November 18, 2019 10:19AMCHICAGO (WLS) — A backpack caught fire on a Southwest Airlines aircraft at Chicago Midway International Airport Monday morning according to the Chicago Police Department. Officials said the call came in just after 10:30 a.m. stating that a backpack had caught fire on Southwest flight #285, outbound to Austin, Texas. The […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Man saves home after computer battery causes fire

By Michael Collett and Ariel Schroeder IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI/KIDK) – Cell phones, tablets, and laptops are all devices that come in handy, but they could also have a hidden danger. One Idaho Falls man experienced that danger first hand. It started off as a normal Sunday for Terry Fenninger. “I went upstairs to have […]

Airplane & Airport

Wheelchair battery ignites fire in hold of El Al plane before Paris takeoff

By TOI staff 28 October 2019, 3:36 pm Passengers deboarded, taken to hotel as aircraft grounded File: An El Al airline plane at Ben Gurion International Airport on August 17, 2016. (Tomer Neuberg/Flash90) A fire broke out inside an El Al plane just before takeoff from Paris’s Charles de Gaulle Airport Sunday night, Channel 13 […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Laptop Battery Causes Fire On A School Bus

STERLING (CBS)- A laptop battery caught fire on a school bus in Sterling Wednesday morning. Montachusett Regional Vocational Technical High School students were on their way from Sterling when a student noticed smoke coming from their backpack. They alerted the bus driver who looked back and saw a decent amount of smoke coming from the […]

Utility and Misc

Fire and Gas Explosion in Battery Room of Norwegian Ferry Prompts Lithium-Ion Power Warning

October 15, 2019 by Mike Schuler Norwegian authorities are warning shipowners and operators about the dangers associated with lithium-ion battery systems after a fire and subsequent gas explosion on board a diesel-electric ferry in Norway. The small fire was reported October 10 in the battery room of the Norled passenger ferry MF Ytterøyningen. The ferry returned to harbor under […]

Vape E-Cigarette

Woman badly burned when vaping device explodes

A Virginia woman was severely burned when her vaping device reportedly burst into flames. Heather Boyd, 34, was airlifted to a hospital Saturday after the device exploded while she was sitting in her car at a parking lot in Herndon, authorities told FOX5DC. “She’s screaming, ‘I’m burning, I’m burning,’ and I didn’t understand how bad it […]

Vape E-Cigarette

‘He was on fire’: Man badly burned after vape battery explodes in his pocket at work

CLEVELAND, Ohio – A Cleveland man was badly burned after the battery for his vape device exploded in his pocket. Nader Harb had recently switched from smoking cigarettes to using a vape pen, according to his attorney Tom Merriman. While at work in June 2018, he had an extra lithium-ion battery in the side pocket of his […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

These Fujitsu laptops were just recalled because their batteries catch on fire

Fujitsu has recalled the battery packs for certain laptops and workstations due to fire and burn hazards. Fujitsu has recalled lithium-ion battery packs found in certain notebook computers and workstations due to fire and burn hazards. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled Fujitsu battery packs, power off their machine, remove the battery, and follow […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Battery fires: The potential danger hiding in your kitchen junk drawer

After putting up Christmas decorations this year, Damien Morris had some extra batteries left over and did what many people do – tossed them in a drawer for future use. The loose batteries sparked a fire that could have destroyed his Charlottetown, P.E.I., home. Morris said he had no idea batteries could pose such a […]

Airplane & Airport

Flight attendant union warns of “catastrophic” fire risk from e-cigarettes on planes

The president of the largest flight attendant union wants the FAA to ban e-cigarettes from planes because their lithium-ion batteries could be a fire hazard. Lithium-ion batteries power virtually every mobile device we have — but the concern about vaping devices stems from the fact they often use cheaper batteries to power them, raising fears they’re more likely to fail […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Home a ‘total loss’ after battery explodes, causes fire

Home security footage doesn’t show the actual explosion, but it does show a flash of light, a spark and ultimately the ensuing fire. MATTHEWS, N.C. — Shocking home security video shows a flash of light and a few sparks which ultimately led to a house fire in Matthews. Now, that homeowner is combing through what’s […]

Vape E-Cigarette

With little FAA direction, vaping devices add to fire dangers on planes

When an e-cigarette battery started smoldering on a flight to Los Angeles in July 2017, a SkyWest flight attendant threw it into an ice bucket before shoving it into a fire containment bag. In Denver, two months later, a carry-on bag with four vaping batteries “caught fire on the boarding bridge,” and firefighters were called […]

Theme by Anders Norén