Category: Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Page 3/8

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Exploding battery pack leads to Derby house fire

DERBY, Kan. (KWCH) Derby fire officials identify the explosion of a laptop’s battery pack as the cause of a house fire Wednesday night. Firefighters were called to the home where they found fire coming from a desk. Crews were able to put it out and discovered the cause. The fire caused $50,000 damage to the home […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Australian house fire sparks call for stricter rules for lithium-ion batteries

Australian consumer advocates have called for stronger safety regulations for lithium-ion batteries after a Sydney house fire was thought to be caused by an e-bike battery. The risk of fires from faulty lithium-ion batteries is increasing because they are used in an increasing number of consumer electronics, from mobile phones and laptops to home battery systems and […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

When Your Amazon Purchase Explodes

Nicholas Jones didn’t think twice about purchasing a lithium-ion battery from Amazon in 2016. Like most Americans, he was used to ordering whatever he needed on the site and having it show up at his front door days later. So when his laptop’s battery stopped working, Jones, then a graduate student, went online, found a replacement […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Explosions Threatening Lithium-Ion’s Edge in a Battery Race

Another lithium-ion battery has exploded, this time at an energy-storage complex in the U.S. At least 21 fires had already occurred at battery projects in South Korea, according to BloombergNEF. But this latest one, erupting on Friday at a facility owned by a Pinnacle West Capital Corp. utility in Surprise, Arizona, marked the first time it has happened in […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Mom raises concern after son’s laptop smokes, sparks in dorm room

DeBARY, Fla. – A Central Florida mother is sounding a warning about a potential danger with laptops and their lithium batteries. Nicole Jordan of DeBary says she bought one for her college-bound son last year as a graduation gift. She says 10 months later, the laptop started smoking, sparking and leaking battery acid inside his backpack. “It’s […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Watch this recalled laptop set an entire room on fire

Most of the electronic gadgets we use are powered by lithium-ion batteries, and very occasionally, those lithium-ion batteries can malfunction. When they do, they have a tendency to burn or explode, and the results can be catastrophic. Exhibit A: Security camera footage from a plastic fabrication company in Letchworth, England. The video shows an HP […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

‘Superwoman’ Canberra mum drags kids from car seconds before it explodes into flames

The moment a quick-thinking Canberra mum dragged her two kids from the family car just seconds before it exploded into flames has been caught on camera.Catherine Mayes had just pulled up at a park with her two children, 20-month-old Tommy and five-month-old Hunter, when she heard a “pop” and then a “fizz” from a portable […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Exploding battery pack causes chemical fire at Vancouver apartments

A homemade battery pack exploded Friday evening causing a chemical fire in a unit at the Wy’East Pointe Apartments in Vancouver, according to emergency radio traffic monitored at The Columbian. The fire was reported about 6:45 p.m. at 812 S.E. 136th Ave., in building F. The caller said he was making a battery pack for […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

‘Huge flame of fire’: Teen’s painful burns after his iPhone battery explodes

A teenager is lucky to still have his eyesight after his iPhone battery exploded. Jay Watson, from Dakabin north of Brisbane, ended up with burns to his chest and singed his hair after he tried changing the battery of his iPhone 6 on Sunday night without his shirt on. “It was a bang and a huge […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Galaxy S7 Explodes on Its Own, Without Even Being Plugged in a Charger

It seems that the days of exploding Samsung phones are still not behind us as a Nigerian Samsung device user recently took to Twitter to reveal that his Galaxy S7 edge caught fire without any provocation. This isn’t the first time a Samsung device has allegedly gone up in flames. If you remember, Samsung had to discontinue the Galaxy Note7 […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

HP expands laptop battery recall due to fire and burn hazards

HP is recalling around 78,500 laptop batteries that pose fire and burn hazards, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (USCPSC) announced on Tuesday. There have been eight new reports of battery packs overheating, melting, or charring following the initial recall in January 2018, including one report of a minor injury and two reports of […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

HP recalls 101,000 laptop batteries over fire concerns

HP is recalling around 101,000 lithium-ion batteries used in the company’s range of laptops. The recall is an expansion from the 41,000 recalled back in June, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission claims affected batteries could overheat “posing fire and burn hazards.” Affected laptops include the HP ProBook, HP ENVY, Compaq Presario, and HP Pavilion notebooks sold […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

US bars lithium batteries as cargo on passenger aircraft

The U.S. government said on Wednesday it is issuing new rules barring airlines from carrying potentially hazardous lithium-ion cells and batteries as cargo on passenger aircraft, and setting new requirements for transporting them on cargo planes. The U.S. Transportation Department’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) unveiled the new rules after Congress last year […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Sony: stop using our VAIO laptop or risk fire

Sony is warning owners of its new VAIO Fit 11A to stop using them immediately after discovering the hybrid laptops are at risk of catching fire, according to The Wall Street Journal. The company is currently in the process of notifying over 25,000 VAIO owners that their computers may include faulty batteries that are unsafe. The VAIO Fit 11A […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Faulty iPad battery ignited blaze that killed N.J. man, suit says

The daughter of a Parsippany man killed in a fire in 2017 is suing Apple, claiming that the blaze that took his life was sparked by a faulty battery pack in an iPad. Bradley Ireland, 64, suffered severe injuries in the early morning fire at his Colonial Heights apartment Feb. 22, 2017, according to the […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Battery catches fire in overhead bin on Delta plane

NEW YORK (FOX 5 NY) – There were some frightening moments for passengers on a Delta Connection plane at LaGuardia Airport Wednesday afternoon after a battery caught on fire in a passenger’s bag in an overhead bin. Two producers from the website “Now This” were on the plane and shot video of the smoke coming into the cabin […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

OSHA issues safety bulletin on hazards of lithium batteries, lithium-powered devices

Washington — OSHA has released a Safety and Health Information Bulletin warning employers and workers of potential fire and explosion hazards stemming from lithium batteries used to power small or wearable electronic devices. More than 25,000 overheating or fire incidents – involving more than 400 types of lithium battery-powered products – occurred between January 2012 and July […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Powerbank caught fire on Royal Brunei flight from Hong Kong

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 5 — On Thursday, it was reported that a powerbank on board a flight from Hong Kong to Brunei had caught fire. Fortunately, the cabin crew were quick to handle the situation and no passengers were harmed. The incident which occurred on Royal Brunei Airlines flight BI636 was captured on several videos. […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Ohio man says iPhone XS Max caught fire and exploded in his pocket

A man from Columbus, Ohio claims that his less than one-month old iPhone XS Max caught fire and exploded in his pants pocket around December 12, iDropNews reports. The man, Josh Hillard, says he initially noticed a strange smell emanating from his rear pant pocket, before feeling a “large amount of heat” allegedly burn his leg. While […]

Batt, Portable, Laptop, Phone

Battery fires started in junk drawers more common than we realize: experts

After putting up Christmas decorations this year, Damien Morris had some extra batteries left over and did what many people do — tossed them in a drawer for future use. The loose batteries sparked a fire that could have destroyed his Charlottetown, P.E.I., home. Morris said he had no idea batteries could pose such a […]

Theme by Anders Norén