E-Bike & Scooter

Charging Hoverboard Causes Second Fire In A Month In Massachusetts

KINGSTON (CBS) — A charging hoverboard started a fire in Kingston Saturday night. This is the second fire in Massachusetts sparked by a charging hoverboard in about a month.

“Hoverboard fires were a national problem in 2016 after many were received as holiday gifts in 2015. They are powered by lithium-ion batteries and must now be compliant with national safety standards,” said a statement from the Kingston Fire Department.

The fire on Country Club Way in Kingston was put out by a fire extinguisher. The hoverboard had been charging on the third floor with a new charging cording when the battery pack exploded, according to the fire department.

A hoverboard in Kingston sparked a fire Saturday (Photo Via Christine Spano Egan)

“Use only chargers supplied with the hoverboard or by the manufacturer. Only charge a hoverboard when you are there to watch it and do not charge unattended, especially overnight. Overcharging can cause a fire,” said Kingston Fire Chief Mark Douglass. 

No one was hurt. About $10,000 was done in damages.

On April 9, a hoverboard fire in Andover displaced fire people. The damages are estimated at $325,000.

For more information on hoverboard safety or how to check if the UL listing is legitimate, go to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s webpage.

Source: CBSN Boston

Comments are Closed

Theme by Anders Norén