By Robert Crawford, Nov 21, 2019
A fire in a Bomaderry recycling business could have started from a discarded battery.
Emergency services were called to the Shoalhaven Recycling factory in Victa Way, Bomaderry around 4.30am on Wednesday after reports a fire had broken out in its warehouse.
The first fire crews on the scene were confronted with a working fire at the rear of the building, with recyclable materials on fire.
The blaze also spread to bushland at the rear of the complex.
Crews were quickly able to combat the fire with hose lines to stop it spreading and then utilising a number of excavators spent several hours removing recyclable material from the warehouse, dousing it with water to ensure it was fully extinguished.
Fire and Rescue NSW Inspector Rick Jones said the warehouse contained around 300 cubic meres of recyclable products.
“With the help of the excavators around 200 cubic metres was removed from the warehouse,” he said.
Crews remained at the location until 11.30am.
Inspector Jones said CCTV footage inside the building showed the blaze started inside the complex.
“Our belief is the fire started internally,” he said.
“While the official report is still to be completed, it looks like a battery in the recycling might be the source.”
He said fire crews were often called to fires in recycling facilities.
“There are a variety of recyclable products and more often than not people have disposed of batteries or batteries are left in toys and when they are compressed they break, creating a chemical reaction which starts the fire.”
Source: South Coast Register