E-Bike & Scooter

A scooter exploded inside Dropbox’s San Francisco headquarters, forcing employees to evacuate

“We experienced a small fire at 333 Brannan Wednesday afternoon. It was quickly put out, no injuries have been reported, and everyone was able to evacuate safely,” a Dropbox spokesperson told Business Insider. “We’re thankful to the SFFD for their swift response.”

The Verge reported that the San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD) confirmed an electric scooter caught fire on the office’s fifth floor, the fire was extinguished by the SFFD, and no injuries occurred. 

The fire incident report provided to Business Insider by the SFFD says that the scooter battery exploded and caught fire while charging. It also says that tenants used a dry chemical extinguisher on site to put out the fire.

Dropbox was preparing to move out of its Brannan Street office to its new office space in Mission Bay’s Exchange building on Monday, according to SF Gate. The fire interfered with Dropbox’s request that employees move their belongings out of the current office by the end of the work day on Wednesday, according to the report.

E-scooters and so-called hoverboards catching fire have made headlines in the past. The Washington Post reported that a Skip scooter burst into flames on the streets of Washington DC in May, noting that “it appears to have started around the battery pack while the scooter was parked.” Lime made a statement in October 2018 about a manufacturing defect in the batteries used in an early version of the Ninebot scooter that could lead to “battery smoldering or, in some cases, catching fire.” 

Source: Business Insider

Comments are Closed

Theme by Anders Norén