SEATTLE – A large part of a Ballard home was gutted Thursday afternoon in a fire that investigators said was caused by a rechargeable battery.
Officials determined the battery burst into flames shortly after it was unplugged from a power strip at a home in the 6700 block of 33rd Avenue Northwest.
Firefighters who arrived at the scene reported flames were coming from the basement and extended onto an attached deck and detached garage.
Fire officials said the fire went up through the attic, but firefighters were able to get it under control and put it out within an hour.
People inside the home were able to escape without injury. One firefighter suffered minor injuries while putting out the flames.
Damages were estimated at more than $400,000.
Investigators said the cause was accidental.
Officials are warning people to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when it comes to properly charging a battery. They said any area near a charging battery should be free from combustible materials such as carpet, clothes and furniture and to replace a battery or charger if it has frayed wires or signs of damage.
Source: KIRO 7 News