LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — UPDATE 10 P.M.: Passengers say an e-cigarette explosion at McCarran International Airport sounded like a bomb went off Monday afternoon.
Nathyl Artillery Snipes said he was about to board a plane bound for the east coast when the blast sent people running.
“It was a panic, people were fearful,” said Artillery Snipes.
He described pandemonium as some panicked passengers left their belongings and ran to emergency exits.
“There was smoke and people thought it was a bomb,” added Artillery Snipes.
Artillery Snipes posted about the panic on Instagram.
Video provided to 13 Investigates by a woman who was also near the explosion shows the device on the ground near gate D54 in Terminal 1.
“It was an explosion, I know you’re all aware of that, no one got hurt,” can be heard from a public address system in the video.
“Everyone that you see now is just trying to get more information as to what triggered the e-cigarette to go off the way that it did,” the video continued, which showed first responders, including firefighters and police around the device.
Alex Mazzola with the Nevada Vaping Association said the devices, especially the batteries, can be sensitive to extreme temperatures and using incorrect chargers.
“If it was overcharging there could be a situation where [an explosion] could happen as well,” said Mazzola.
He also said users should remove the batteries from the devices while traveling for an added layer of safety.
The Transportation Security Administration has prohibited the devices from checked luggage due to risk of fires of explosions.
The devices are allowed to be in carried onto planes.
UPDATE 2:05 P.M.: Authorities say the e-cigarette was charging at a charge station and it overcharged. Clark County Fire Department has cleared the scene. Las Vegas police believe the incident was accidental.
LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Crews are investigating a “loud bang” and some smoke at Terminal 1 at McCarran International Airport, which authorities believe was caused by an exploding e-cigarette.
The incident happened around 1:15 p.m. near gates D53 and D54.
Authorities continue to investigate the situation but say they believe an e-cigarette exploded in someone’s luggage.
There are no reports of injuries.
Several people ran out of the emergency exits after the incident occurred. Las Vegas police are responding for crowd control.
Battery-powered e-cigarettes, vaporizes, vape pens and atmoizers are not allowed to be in checked bags, according to the TSA . They may only be carried in an airplane’s cabin.
Source: KTNV 13 Las Vegas