The moment a quick-thinking Canberra mum dragged her two kids from the family car just seconds before it exploded into flames has been caught on camera.Catherine Mayes had just pulled up at a park with her two children, 20-month-old Tommy and five-month-old Hunter, when she heard a “pop” and then a “fizz” from a portable battery pack which was sitting on the front seat of the car.
The battery pack then started smoking and caught on fire.CCTV vision shows Ms Mayes getting Tommy out of the car and then struggling to get Hunter out as fast as she can from his child seat.“We’ve got to get away bubba,” Ms Mayes can be heard saying on a voicemail message to her partner John Stasik’s phone.
Ms Moyes manages to get Hunter out and within seconds the four-year-old Mazda CX5 explodes into flames.“I was just like auto pilot – I need to get my babies out,” she told 9News.
“The ‘what ifs’ are overwhelming but I’m just lucky, just lucky I did get them out and it could have been so much worse.”The Boxo battery pack that exploded can be used to jump start your car, charge your phone and other items.The family had been keeping it in the car in case of breakdowns.The battery pack comes with a warning about being left in the sun but it still shouldn’t catch alight.Mr Stasik said he was in awe of his partner’s quick reactions to save their kids.“I’m just glad Catherine was like… superwoman really like, to get them out that quick… and just… oh, she’s amazing,” he said.
Source: 9 News.au