PUTRAJAYA: A Malindo Air passenger has brought new meaning to the oft-said adage, “Man on Fire”.
On Saturday, while en route to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) from Kota Kinabalu, a man was watching a video on the display screen in his Boeing 737-800 aircraft seat.
At that juncture, an electronic cigarette (e-cigarette) battery inside a bag, which was placed on the passenger’s lap, suddenly burst into flames.
In the 6.45pm incident, which occurred after the aircraft had just taken off from Kota Kinabalu, Malindo Air passengers and flight crew faced anxious moments as the man sustained burns on the thighs and left hand.
“In the midst of watching the video, the vape battery in a bag lying on the man’s lap suddenly caught fire.
“He was treated immediately by another passenger who happened to be a doctor.
“The crew managed to quickly bring the fire under control and the plane landed safely at the KLIA2 at 8.44pm,” he said when contacted Sunday.
ACP Abdul Aziz said the injured passenger had lodged a police report.
Malindo Air did not lodge any complaint over the incident. – BERNAMA
Source: The Star Online